Patch 5.2 promises plenty of new raiding experiences, items and factions to keep us busy, but it also introduces a few significant alterations to the core rules of transmogrification. Here’s a recap of all of the patch details relevant to items, and how mogging will be affected.
• Two-handed axes, maces, and swords can be transmogrified to each
• One-handed axes, maces, and swords can be transmogrified to each
• Staves and polearms can be transmogrified to each other.
• A significant number of weapons that were formally Main Hand only,
have been changed to be one-handed.
Until now, only hunters were able to transmogrify across weapon types, with bows, guns and crossbows. The above changes mean that other classes now have substantially broader options for mixing across weapon-types too. Daggers, Fist Weapons and Wands remain unchanged, and can only be transmogrified to themselves. We’ve highlighted these weapon transmog groups in the image to the right.
The alteration of many main hand weapons to being one-handed also allows for much greater variety as, for example, rogues can now dual-wield many caster weapon looks, which they could not previously transmogrify. See the bottom for Wowhead’s gallery of weapon changes.
• Valor points are not being converted with this patch.
• Conquest Points will be converted to Honor Points, up to the cap of
• Any Honor Points above the 4000 cap will be converted to coin, at a
rate of 35 silver per point.
• The Throne of Thunder raid instance is being released. Check out our Tier 15 Overview article
to see the new sets.
• Season 12 ends and Season 13 will begin, with brand new armor sets: Season 13 Overview.
• Three new factions will be selling reputation based Valor Point items: Shado-Pan Assault, Kirin Tor
Offensive and Sunreaver Onslaught. The latter two are Alliance and Horde specific respectively.
• Lookalikes of the Blacksmith-crafted Burning Crusade weapons are being introduced. These weapons
will be BoE, unlike their predecessors.
• Many BoE uncommon items are being introduced as lookalikes of the original Zul’Gurub and
Zul’Aman armor sets, which were removed when the two instances were revamped in Cataclysm.
• Malevolent Gladiator’s items can be purchased for Honor Points.
• Malevolent Gladiator’s items purchased after the patch will have a reduced item level of 476.
Those purchased before the patch will retain their 483 item level.
• Dreadful Gladiator’s items can be crafted by relevant professions (Blacksmithing, Leatherworking,
• Item level 489 Valor point items from Patch 5.0 have had their costs reduced by 50%.
• Item level 496 Valor point items from Operation: Shieldwall and the Dominance Offensive have had
their costs reduced by 25%.
Further Patch Info
If you’d like to read more about Patch 5.2, we’ve covered a lot of the new items in other articles which you can find on our front page.
The above covers the majority of the information from 5.2 which is in some way related to transmogrification, but there are of course many more changes and additions on their way. If you’d like to read further, we recommend you check out the following resources: