Trial of the Champion DPS Plate

Trial of the Champion DPS Plate

Source: BoP Northrend dungeon drops
Availability: Time consuming to farm, but not too challenging

As referenced in the title, the entirity of this set is obtained from the 5-player Northrend dungeon, Crusaders’ Colliseum: Trial of the Champion. The armor items here are split evenly, with four coming from Normal mode Trial, and four from heroic.

Note that the headpiece is not depicted in the picture for aesthetic reasons, but is still listed below.

The whole outfit can be seen ingame on the Ebon Blade NPC Duchess Mynx, who, conveniently enough, sells the sword depicted here, at Revered reuptation. The Duchess also wears the Tabard of the Ebon Blade.

ShouldersMajestic Silversmith Shoulderplates (BoP from Eadric’s Cache, after the second boss encounter in heroic Trial of the Champion)
ChestBreastplate of the Imperial Joust (BoP from the Confessor’s Cache or Eadric’s Cache, after the second boss encounter in normal Trial of the Champion)
WristsVambraces of Unholy Command (BoP from The Black Knight in heroic Trial of the Champion)
GlovesGauntlets of the Stouthearted Crusader (BoP from Eadric’s Cache in normal Trial of the Champion)
WaistGirdle of Arrogant Downfall (BoP from The Black Knight in normal Trial of the Champion)
LegsLegplates of Relentless Onslaught (BoP from the Confessor’s Cache or Eadric’s Cache, after the second boss encounter in heroic Trial of the Champion)
FeetPlated Greaves of Providence (BoP from the Confessor’s Cache in heroic Trial of the Champion)
2-Handed SwordRuneblade of Demonstrable Power (BoP reputation purchase from Duchess Mynx, at Knights of the Ebon Blade revered)

Extra:
HeadHelm of the Violent Fray (BoP from The Black Knight in normal Trial of the Champion)

~ by Noelani on May 12, 2011.

18 Responses to “Trial of the Champion DPS Plate”

1. Urfubar says:

Just finished this set for my Pally, I know, but I don’t have a dk, and I love it! The boots took over two weeks to farm, but totally worth it. The rest of the set I had within the first week. I had a friend help me out and between the two of us-one on a mount the other on foot-we were easily able to do the jousting part at the beginning.

Here’s a screen shot, sorry didn’t know how to put the image in the post.

Best of luck farming!

2. Emeff says:

Pretty easy to solo at level 90, the jousting part can be a bit challenging, but it’s not so bad. Here’s how:

Don’t use the mounts, you’ll be doing this on foot.

If you’re melee, forget about using the lance, keep your weapons. The first 3 waves of riders should be easy to kill. The 3 mounted bosses will stun you for 3 seconds if you stay near them, so keep moving while you whittle them down. Their armor reduces damage taken, but at level 90 your damage is so ridiculous that it doesn’t matter.

As soon as a rider dies, he’ll dismount and walk towards a mount, any kind of damage will knock him out for a couple of seconds until he stands again. Take this time to finish the other riders off. Because you don’t have the lance equipped, they’ll keep trying to mount again, so to finish the fight you will have to dismount all three and keep them dismounted. The moment the three of them are dismounted, the jousting is over and you get to pummel them like normal bosses.

If you’re a caster, equip the lance and follow the rest of the steps normally. Keep your distance, nuke them and when they dismount, hit them with the lance so they stay outside the ring, they won’t mount again if you do this! Essentially, as a caster, you only have to dismount them once, easier than melee.

A couple of things, sometimes the bosses run away which can give you a little breathing room when they are on top of you (they do this to put up more barriers if you were to fight them mounted). The stun is pretty random from my experience, sometimes they stun-lock you properly, in which case you can only take wait until it’s over (or use Blink, etc), and sometimes they won’t stun you at all. You can stun them, but that will only stun the rider, not the mount itself, which means that they’ll still be able to move around and trample you. Whenever one of them rides a fresh mount, it starts with 1 charge of barrier, so it’s easy to kill them again.

The rest of the instance is easy.

3. Joriss says:

Looking back at it now, it’s a pretty sweet armor for a death knight. Probably gonna farm this baby, shouldn’t be too hard on lvl 90

4. Sean says:

As of Patch 5.0.4 the belt has been updated; it now has a bulkier model akin to that worn by the Death Knight Captains in Naxxramas, as well as various Ebon Blade NPC’s.

5. Liamaru says:

I think this is probably the best set to go with Armageddon from Naxx 25

6. Evalynna says:

I agree with Beelzebub, if you’re going to farm this set, I definitely suggest bringing a friend to take some of the heat off of you. After hearing me get more and more frustrated (didn’t help that today has been one SNAFU after another), my sister took pity on me and hopped on her 85 hunter (I was on an 85 prot paladin). It was still a challenge, but we managed it. Next time, I’ll be bringing my brother on his shaman along.

7. beelzebub says:

don’t be fooled by

Availability: Time consuming to farm, but not too challenging

^^ this does not mean solo content, the first fight on horse back is a real pain to solo, once knocked off the horse they stun you so you can’t nuke from being on foot and once you remount you shields are down, so will be knocked off again soon after, this is an even bigger pain once you have got the first of the 3 down as you need to try and keep him from remounting…

in short…you need assistance

The other pain is that you can’t queue for the instance once lv85, so you will need assistance from your guild, which means no set for me….time to look at something else…shame

• Ironyca says:

Thanks for your comment, it’s good for us to get an idea about when something is soloable and when it isn’t, even though it can vary from class to class – and spec.
      The reason it says “not too challenging” is because it’s a 5 man dungeon at lvl 80, controrary to needing a whole raid going with you.
      Perhaps asking for assistance in /trade or find someone who’s leveling who might be interested in a little xp can help?

8. Oh… BTW the plated greaves actually drop in Heroic according to the Blizzard site.

You’re right, I mixed the heroic/normal info around for the Helm and Boots, such are the hassles of using my previous articles as html templates.

Fixed!

9. Patch 4.2 fixed the shoulders. You may feel free to update.

10. Sean says:

Patch 4.2 fixed the shoulderplates. You may feel free to update. :)

11. Alessandrae says:

I’m surprised you missed Majestic Silversmith Shoulderplates from Eadric’s Cache (H)

This set, those shoulders, the Ebon Blade tabard and you pretty much have identical Ebon Blade Commander gear. (The DK NPCs in ICC)

Actually this was an intentional move on my part and I included the details of my reasoning in the article itself. Since Patch 4.1, the Majestic Silversmith Shoulderplates have been ‘broken’, by which I mean they took on the brown coloured skin as opposed to their original grey.

For that reason I chose to leave them out, as frankly I found the colour mixup to be unflattering!

Needless to say that if Blizzard change the item back to its original colour I’ll be updating the article, but as far as I know, this hasn’t happened yet.