Black Dragon Mail

Black Dragon Mail
aka The Black Dragonscale Set

Armor Type: Mail
Source: BoE Leatherworker Crafted
Availability: Finding a Leatherworker with the recipes is considerably harder than obtaining the materials to make the items

The Black Dragonscale set is a combination of three rare items and one epic, all of which are crafted by Leatherworkers. See below for more details on these recipes.

We’ve included two different sets of extra items to accompany the Black Dragon Mail, the first of which can be worn by any mail user, but the second is hunter-only.

ShoulderBlack Dragonscale Shoulders
ChestBlack Dragonscale Breastplate
LegsBlack Dragonscale Leggings
FeetBlack Dragonscale Boots

Shoulders – Requires 300+ Leatherworking skill to craft and Pattern: Black Dragonscale Shoulders, a drop from Anvilrage Marshals in Blackrock Depths at approximately a 1.3% chance.

Chest – Requires 290+ Leatherworking skill to craft and Pattern: Black Dragonscale Breastplate, purchasable from Plugger Spazzring in Blackrock Depths. The recipe is on a limited stock of one only at a time and is estimated to respawn every couple of hours.

Legs – Requires 300+ Leatherworking skill to craft and Pattern: Black Dragonscale Leggings, a 1.1% drop chance from Anvilrage Captains in Blackrock Depths.

Feet – Requires 300+ Leatherworking skill to craft and Honored reputation or better with the Thorium Brotherhood in order to buy Pattern: Black Dragonscale Boots.

GlovesNerubian Gloves (Crafted by Leatherworkers of 370+ skill)
WaistNerubian Belt (Crafted by Leatherworkers of 375+ skill)
BowQuillshooter (BoE drop from creatures within the Razorfen Downs instance)

Alternative Extras (Hunter only):

The following extras can be seen in the picture to the right:
ShirtBlue Workman’s Shirt (Crafted by Tailors of 400+ skill)
GlovesWrathful Gladiator’s Chain Gauntlets (BoP purchase from various vendors at the cost of 1040 Honor Points)
WaistWrathful Gladiator’s Waistguard of Triumph (BoP purchase from various vendors at the cost of 945 Honor Points)

Recolours (Plate):

~ by Noelani on January 9, 2010.

28 Responses to “Black Dragon Mail”

1. Eillessia says:

I use the Astral light bow as I prefer a heavier looking bow and the colors are a prefect match for this set.

2. Odinthegrey says:

I actually found that Battered Saurscale gloves and belt complimented the Black Dragonscale set better, than those recommended here. I also found a FANTASTIC bow transmog for this set. Inlaid Bow, item level 416 Pandaran bow. I also opted for a Hyaline Helm of the Sniper, drop off of Sarth, in Obisdian Sanctum.

3. Muháy says:

I currently use this Tmog.
    With the extras;
    [Stylish Black Shirt] (Bought from NPC Lisbeth Schneider in SW)
    [Nerubian Gloves] (As suggested)
    [Nerubian Belt] (As suggested)
    And
    [Cloak of the Brood Lord] (From Nefarian BWL)
    [Heartstriker](From Broodlord Lashlayer BWL)

4. Oneloneogre#1408 says:

I see recolors in these charts. How do you recolor gear? I use the Black Dragonscale for my Xmog but I like some of the recolors.

I’m afraid that there’s no way to alter armor colour. We use the term recolour to refer to cases where the Blizzard design team created two or more different armor sets with the same overall model, but different colourations.

I should also point out that all of the recolours listed above are plate, and whilst there are a few more mail items which are recolours of the Black Dragonscale, none of them are complete sets like the plate outfits.

5. Ainyan says:

As a hunter, I use the chest/legs/boots with the LFR T13 Wyrmstalker’s Spaulders (http://www.wowhead.com/item=78832), which matches the color scheme almost exactly and gives my hunter a lovely pair of dragon wings on her shoulders. I also use the Crown of Destruction from Rags in MC (http://www.wowhead.com/item=18817) as the helm. No cloak and a Heartstriker from Broodlord in BWL (http://www.wowhead.com/item=19350) complete the set. My hunter is a full-fledged black dragon.

6. Exodia says:

hmm is there any staff there match this gear? (my hunter use staff.. but its look ugly)

• Andi says:

I just recently got this set on my hunter, and I found a nice staff to match it: Life-Staff of the Web Lair

I also used this staff for a while on my mage for her Black Mageweave set. It took my three attempts total to farm it for both characters, so it has a high drop rate too!

7. CATS says:

Oh, that´s great, I just got Quillshooter and thought I need to find a set for this Bow and then see I still have this open in a tab from last week.

8. Vyvera says:

this set is amazing.
    just saying, i can make the whole Black Dragonscale set for you on the Dragonmaw server (:

9. Toshi says:

A very easy to find belt for this (for non-hunters or hunters without Honor to spare) is Imbued Infantry Girdle (http://www.wowhead.com/item=68752) it drops off of level 8-12 rare mobs, and they tend to have very quick respawn timers.

10. Pandi says:

these frostscale gloves and belt go with the set quite nicely. They don’t look like it in the picture used, but I am quite happy with the result. Using the belt as well sort of helps the styles fit together.
    Here is a picture of my character in the set.

11. Helibron says:

What gloves is Lokhtos Darkbargainer (The reputation vendor in the Grim Guzzler) wearing? They seem to match his Black Dragonscale shoulders very well.

To the best of our knowledge these gloves are not available in-game, I’m afraid.

• Helibron says:

Thanks Noelani.

I can make all of the pieces now as well as the belt so if any of you gentle readers are on realm Cairne and have the mats, I will craft the four pieces and the belt for you ad gratis.

The Dragon Stabler’s Gauntlets look okay but they are a bit bulkier than the rest of the outfit :(

12. Chandra says:

Wrathful Glad Chain Gauntlets, Sabatons of Triumph, and Waistguard of Triumph also work very well for the set. Upstanding Spaulders from drake up 25 OS also go well. Deadly Gladiator Chain Pauldrons work somewhat, but the scale color scheme doesn’t match entirely. Ancient Crown is a very nice helm for this set as well

13. Azkahaar says:

I strongly recommend a Nerubian Belt (crafted) and Dragon Stabler’s Gauntlets (34% drop in Utgarde Keep).
    And if you’r not afraid of farming, Blackblade of Shahram (1.7% drop in ubrs) looks awesome together with the rest. Have heard rumors that they are removing the melee weapons for hunters in the future tho.

14. IceGhost says:

I’m probably going to go with this set as my transmog outfit on my hunter. I see that the Blackforge Gauntlets and Girdle are suggested to go with it, and they look OK. However, does anyone know what gloves and belt the dwarf in this picture is using?

And my master builders shirt from BRD!

I’m totally going with this set, it was my first set of armor because I just couldn’t ever win the rolls for beast gear! I’ll have to check out those suggestions for waist and hands but I’m not sure about the helm. I don’t normally show the helm anyway but about the only thing that I saved from back in the day was my Crown of Destruction so that might just work.

17. Aastus says:

Blackforged Guantlets and Blackforge Girdle go with this set fairly well.

also i recommend for males to use a black shirt under to make the chest look a lil more manly ;) lol. Sul Thraze looks amzing with this and Felscale gloves.